Where Are You Headed on Fall Break?
Big plans for Fall Break...? Or have you even thought about it yet? It seems to sneak up on us, or at least on me, every year. If you're in the same boat as me, you're in luck! I've found some great ideas for family trips within a few hours of my hometown in Southern Indiana, or a little farther away... Of course I can be your vacation planner, or road trip planner, or travel agent, from wherever you call home!
In this article you'll find a few options for 2-3 hours away and 6-7 hours away (by car!) Coming up in the next blog I'll have a few options that might be a little farther, and off the beaten path!
Super Close, Super Fun Road Trips!
1. French Lick, IN: You'll find plenty to do in this tiny town, nestled in the Hoosier National Forest.
Zip line through the trees while admiring the beautiful changing leaves. Test your driving skills at French Lick West Baden Indoor Karting! Or get up close and personal with the elephants (and grizzly bears soon!) at Wilstem Ranch. There are SO many more options for adults and kids alike...I can't possibly list them all here!
2. St. Louis, MO: Check out the new Gateway Arch Museum and grounds and take a cruise on the mighty Mississippi! The City Museum is a must for children of ALL ages...wear your walking shoes and yoga pants...these make it much easier to zoom down the 10 story slide! If you're on a budget, no worries, there are plenty of great free options in St. Louis as well. Check out this blog by WhereTraveler for more info! https://www.wheretraveler.com/st-louis/play/20-free-or-nearly-free-things-do-st-louis
3. Franklin, TN: I fell in love with Franklin a few years ago! It's such a quaint little town, minutes
from the craziness of Nashville! Downtown Franklin is known as "America's Main St." and offers plenty of shopping, eating and playing for the entire family. (You might even spot some Nashville Royalty strolling along Main Street!) Enjoy the breathtaking fall scenery with a drive along the Natchez Trace Parkway (and grab a bite to eat at The Loveless Cafe!) Head over to Leiper's Fork where you'll find great local artists and equally great live music at Pucketts Grocery.
A Little Farther, But Still Super Fun Road Trips!
1. Chicago, IL: How about a road trip (or train trip!) to The Windy City? Pack your walking shoes-and a warm coat! Chicago is absolutely beautiful in the Fall and offers plenty to do. Of course there is the Miracle Mile (perfect for early holiday shopping!), Navy Pier, and so many museums! Take a ride along the Chicago River to see some spectacular architechture, or hop on the L and head out to explore some of the city's fantastic neighborhoods. Dining options are plentiful...two of my favorites include Eleven City Diner and Sushi + Rotary Sushi Bar (your spicy tuna roll will arrive by car!) And don't forget about Chicago pizza!!! Too many great options-I'll let you choose your fav :)
2. Memphis, TN: If you aren't quite ready for the cooler weather, head south to the birthplace of the blues...and rock n' roll. Music and history make for a great family holiday! Tour Graceland and Sun City to get your fill of the King of Rock n' roll, and all his cronies! Stroll along Beale St. as
you listen to some great blues and sample some tasty Memphis BBQ. Or visit The National Civil Rights Museum-Lorraine Motel, where you can honor the great MLK, sit at the Woolworth's lunch counter, and board a replica of the bus where Rosa Parks took a stand. Memphis also has a world class zoo, and a plethora of museums for the entire family!
3. Asheville, NC: This quirky town, known for it's art scene and historic architecture, is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Don't miss the infamous Biltmore Estate, with it's 35 bedrooms, 65 fireplaces, and 43 bathrooms...and so much more! Take in the beautiful scenery along the Blue Ridge Parkway-you're sure to find some great hiking trails. Explore downtown, visit the Asheville Pinball Museum or Wheels Through Time (super cool vintage auto museum!) and grab some tasty treats and drinks at Pack's Tavern, located in the heart of Pack Square Park. You won't be at a loss for things to do in this beautiful mountain town!
I've just covered the tip of the iceberg on things to do in all these fabulous destinations. If you'd like more information, or would like help in planning YOUR family getaway (or girl's weekend, alone time, etc...) I'm here for you! My job here is to listen, research and plan...so YOU can explore, play and relax. #wherecanwetakeyou?